My teaching philosophy is inspired by my experience as a classroom teacher in a bilingual East Oakland elementary school. While a world apart from the university setting in many ways, the same basic principles apply, and I seek to foster a lively, discussion-filled class where students know that they are important, they understand how what they are learning is relevant to their lives, and they treat each other with respect. I encourage students to take ownership of their education and to discover and pursue their interests as lifelong learners.
I have taught the following courses at UCI:
- Educ 251: Education Policy & Politics
- Educ 261: Social & Cultural Foundations of Education
- Educ 253: Foundations of Education Policy & Social Context
- Educ 140: Courts, Classrooms, & Controversies in Education Policy
- Educ 50: Origins, Purposes, and Central Issues in K-12 Education